Visit no-hunger.org for more information about Second Harvest.
4 large eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cushaw squash, cooked and mashed
(can substitute butternut squash or pumpkin)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine eggs, sugar, oil and squash until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Add to mixer bowl and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined. Raise speed to medium high and beat batter for 1 minute to aerate.
- Butter a 9” x 13” baking pan or spray with pan spray.
- Spread batter evenly into pan, smoothing top.
- Bake until golden brown and cake tester inserted near middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Top if desired with your favorite cream cheese frosting.