The chance of falling increases with age. Falls may be caused by physical changes, health conditions or medications. Here are some simple ways you can help reduce your risk:
- Avoid climbing and reaching high shelves.
- Only use a stepladder with a handrail on top.
- Use a nightlight or lamp by
- Move cords, clothes or bedding
that may cause you to trip.
- Install grab bars by the shower
- Place nonskid mats in the
shower and bath.
- Clean up spills right away.
- Avoid cleaning products that
make surfaces slippery.
- Keep lights on at night or use
- Remove furniture from hightraffic
- Keep floors clutter-free.
- Track your pet by putting a bell
on its collar.
- Avoid throw rugs and secure
carpets to the floor.
- Cover wood stairs with carpet
or nonslip tread.
- Install sturdy handrails on all
- Wear shoes with rubber soles
or socks with grippers on the