About half of all falls happen at home, and many falls can be prevented. Serious ones limit how well you get around and the things you’re able to do.
Make your home safer with these tips:
- Keep floors dry and clutter-free. Clear out books, papers, magazines, etc.
- Get rid of throw rugs, or tape them down.
- Keep rooms and hallways brightly lit.
- Install handrails on stairs and beside tubs and showers.
- Store items like clothing, dishes and food in cabinets you can easily reach without a step stool.
- Wear sturdy shoes with nonskid soles. Don’t go barefoot or wear slippers.