You may be surprised to know that depression doesn’t look the same in everyone. It’s often thought of as having feelings of hopelessness or suicidal thoughts. And while those are indeed serious signs, not everyone feels that way. Depression could even show up differently in women and men. Women might express sad feelings through crying, whereas men might be more inclined to show irritation or anger.
Common symptoms of depression:
- Feeling sad or anxious
- Feeling guilty, helpless or worthless
- Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Having less energy or feeling tired
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Having changes in appetite or weight
- Feeling irritable or restless
- Having thoughts of suicide or death
So how do you know if what you feel is depression?
After all, everyone feels down every now and then.
When the feelings are prolonged, it’s time to talk to your doctor.