- Keep stair ways and pathways clutter-free.
- Have good lighting.
- Toss out throw rugs or make sure they ’re firmly attached to the floor.
- Use nonskid mats and abrasive strips on flooring surfaces that get wet.
- Install grab bars in showers and alongside tubs and toilets.
- Make sure stair wells have handrails along the length of the stairs.
See Your Doctor
Some changes in health can contribute to falls. These include changes in vision, hearing, muscle strength, coordination and reflexes. Diabetes and conditions of the heart, thyroid or nervous system can also affect balance. Ask your doctor to screen you for these. Have your doctor check your medications, too. Some side effects may cause dizziness or lightheadedness.